Sunday, November 13, 2016

Hello?

Are you there blog? It's me, Melissa.

I haven't forgotten about you, I just had nothing to say. Or rather, I didn't have the motivation or desire to say anything...

This year was a challenge, obviously, and I was struggling for a very long time. I lost the will to do a lot of things, writing being at the top of that list.

I couldn't have imagined something so simple, so small, could help me find a purpose. Who knew all it would take would be cooking?  It ignited a passion in me that I didn't even know existed, probably because I've avoided doing it for the majority of my adult life.

It's not that I couldn't cook, it's that I chose not to. Every once in awhile I would hit the kitchen in a flurry and whip up something amazing. However, more often than not, I would eat cereal for dinner or make a grilled cheese and call it a night. My roommate, Caitlin and I, have lived together for over a year and a half. Never eating the same meals, never eating our meals together, and never really sharing groceries.

One night a few months ago, we made plans to have dinner together to change that. The deal was we would each make a dish to share; it was really just an excuse to hang out. The idea snowballed when we began to discuss a theme for the evening (we love a good theme), and we decided on "World Cuisine Night". Caitlin had just returned from the UK where a lot of the menus had Indian influences so we decided we would make Indian cuisine. Cooking the meal turned into a complete cultural experience when we decided to listen to classic Indian music as we cooked and ate. We had so much fun with it, that we started talking about making it a weekly ritual.



And so Around The World in 52 Eats was born. 52 weeks where we would venture outside of our comfort zone. Each week we would swap who made the entree, we would challenge ourselves to make dishes we'd never tried before, and we would try to be as authentic as possible.

We spent that first evening on the couch writing out 51 countries as they popped into our heads on small pieces of paper, or in some cases splitting countries into regions. We put them in an empty box, and now, at the end of every 52 Eats meal, we pick out the next country.

Our family and friends eagerly await our posts and we've had more than one request to document our culinary escapades (looking at you Christopher). So here we are. I can't wait to share this experience with all of you! The first post will be out later this week.

Also, we started a Pinterest board where we save the recipes that inspired us (I don't typically follow recipes), or in Caitlin's case, the ones that she followed closely. Follow along!




In the end, it's more than just cooking for me now. It goes beyond hanging out with my roommate. It's teaching me to try new things, to be brave, and to have confidence in myself. It's the one thing that makes sense to me right now, and I've been holding onto it as tightly as I can. Baby steps, I guess.

So embark on this journey with us and know that our door is always open if you want to join us for dinner. 

3 comments

  1. So glad to see your name on my feed :)

    I'm similar—I can cook, I just don't much enjoy it, especially since I have a tinier-than-tiny kitchen, am lazy, and cooking for one is annoying. But I want to be better so I always look for food inspiration and have totally screen-shotted some of your meals! Can't wait to see the posts about this and maybe start my own similar self-challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this idea! What an amazing way to introduce new foods and cultures to your lives -- as well as spend more quality time together ♥ I cannot wait to follow along on this food journey!

    ReplyDelete