Friday, December 18, 2015

Top 10 of 2015: Part One

As 2015 comes to a close, it's hard not to look back at all the big moments. From television, to movies, to the internet, there have been plenty of memorable things that happened this year. I will be counting down my personal top 10 favourite things of 2015!

Let's get this party started shall we?

10. The Rise of the Netflix Original Series


Netflix has really upped their original programming game. Between new seasons of House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, and Hemlock Grove, they pretty much had 2015 on lock... and then they introduced some new ones. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt was the funniest thing to happen in television this past spring. I will never be able to say Pinot Noir without busting a gut ever again. There were so many shows to love: Grace & Frankie, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Narcos, Sense8 (none of these I have watched though, this is just what I hear from my close friends) and of course, Wet Hot American Summer (this one I did watch multiple times).

But the breakout show for me this year is hands down Master of None. I`ve always loved Aziz. Since first discovering my love for him on Parks & Rec, to watching all of his stand-up specials on Netflix, I've always loved his particular brand of comedy and insight. I'm still waiting to read his book, Modern Romance. Not important though. Anyway, I binged this show in one weekend and he hits the nail on the head for so many situations. From dating in 2015, to the comparison of your life to your peers, to friendship dynamics, he covers exactly what it's like as a 25-35 year old in this day and age. And it's funny as hell. Also, he used his REAL PARENTS. To be honest they stole the show. As did Denise. I highly recommend it.


9. Serial


This podcast took the world by storm in late 2014. And after MONTHS of waiting, we were finally blessed with season two last week. This season, Sarah Koenig explores the Bowe Bergdahl case and there's nothing like a little military mystery. Have you been listening to season two? I love her voice, I could definitely fall asleep to her reading me a bed time story. Can someone make this happen?

8. Scream Queens


If you did not watch Ryan Murphy's latest show, then you're doing life wrong. It mixes truly gruesome murder with some of the funniest characters on television right now. The Chanel's are perfect caricatures of the worst types of Sorority girls in America today.

This cast is stacked. Emma Roberts, Abigail Breslin, Nasim Pedrad Lea Michele, Niecy Nash, Oliver Hudson, Nick Jonas, Ariana Grande and the original Scream Queen, Jamie Lee Curtis. I'm so sad that it's over. It was spit out my wine funny every week, along with being dark and twisted and gory.



7. Sample Source


I love free stuff. There isn't much in this world that gets me going quite like free things. I'm poor and cheap so this shouldn't come as a surprise. I honestly cannot remember where I found out about this, but you can sign up for Sample Source and every 3 months they send you free products. FREE. Last time I got a mish mash of things such as dishwasher fluid, chocolate covered blueberries, and Breathe Right strips. Not only that, but I also go a free subscription to a magazine and I'm in love. So do yourself a favor and sign up here.

6. Whine About It


Matt Bellassai has won the hearts of twenty somethings everywhere. Every week gets continuously funnier and more relatable than the last. Plus, how envious are you that he gets paid to get drunk at his desk and rant? SIGN ME UP FOR THIS JOB!

Here is my personal favourite episode:




Honorable Mentions:

End of the tampon tax - Canadian women coast to coast finally had something to celebrate when it comes to our periods.

Dubsmash - I became a little obsessed with this app earlier this year.


A video posted by Melissa (@melissanicole14) on



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Check back next week for my top 5! 

What are your fave things from 2015? Let me know in the comments below. 

Linking up for Friday Favorites!

8 comments

  1. Can't wait to see the rest of your list! :) I've still never ever dubsmashed and you always made it look so epic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only had a chance to watch one episode of Master of None and I liked it. I got to read his book too! I started Scream Queens and LOVED it for like 3 episodes, then I couldn't handle it anymore. Did it get better again? Hope you have a great weekend! Cant wait to see the rest of your list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Master of None was one of my favorite things to happen this year, and I'm currently rewatching Kimmy. Netflix is really killin' it this year.
    I didn't start Serial season 1 until this January, so yeah, it all happened this year for me and it was AMAZING. Thank you for reminding me of all the good things that happened this year ;) can't wait to see part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've watched the first few episodes of Master of None but I have to finish it, it's hilarious! I'll have to check out that podcast & catch up Scream Queens!

    Have a great weekend! Melanie | Blog: Toots + Dill

    ReplyDelete
  5. i started watching the 1st serial but then not sure why i stopped..... i think i was on the last one too! i'll have to pick that up again and listen as i drive to work

    ReplyDelete
  6. Netflix seriously upped their game this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to resubscribe to Netflix! Love OITNB and Kimmy (Pinot Noir, Mid-size car...) but I haven't seen House of Cards or Aziz's new show yet!

    And I'm SO EXCITED about the new season of Serial! It blew my mind when she ended the first ep with "Oh, and next week I talk to the Taliban..." WHAT? I'm still obsessed with season one's case, too, mostly due to still listening to Undisclosed. My mind keeps getting blown with the new stuff they discover!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emma Roberts is absolute perfection. I live for her one liners in that show!

    ReplyDelete