Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Wouldn't Change It If I Could - I'm Good

If you follow me on Instagram you might have seen this yesterday. It was a bit of a proclamation for my 25th birthday.


This year I strive to love myself for who I am and not try and be what I think I'm supposed to. 

I'm so sick of trying to fit in. I've spent the better part of 24 years doing that. Worrying about what other people thought, caring how I was perceived by total strangers, and living my life walking on eggshells.

I'm ready to embrace who I am. I'm a bit of a nerd, I fall in love too fast (or never enough), I'm anxious, I'm overweight and happy, I'm single and loving it, I have friends who've loved me through it all, and I'm a big effing weirdo. I'M DIFFERENT. I finally understand that it's not a bad thing. 

This year is going to be all about self-love and acceptance. I'm throwing myself into myself. I'm my own worst enemy so now I'm going to be my biggest priority. I'm opening my mind and my heart to every experience. I've started yoga and meditation to feel at peace with myself (and start my journey to lose 50 lbs), I'm writing again, I'm trying to find the good in every day, I'm trying to be a better person, and best of all I'm finally learning to love me.

How can I preach to other women (and men too!) about self-love and taking care of yourself if I don't do it? I want to be a role model for the young ladies in my life, namely Brooklyn as she starts to grow up. Be okay with who you are. You shouldn't have to force someone to love you, you shouldn't have to change to be loved, and if you love yourself then better things will follow.

I refuse to live my life for other people.

I want to leave you with a song from one of my favorite bands. The Mowgli's just released a new album today and it's a gooder. This song is literally going to be the anthem of my 25th year.



I'm going to make this year count.

6 comments

  1. girl, once your GAF level hits zero - or close to it - your life becomes exponentially better/happier. i haven't given any fucks about what anyone thinks about/of me since.... high school? and man, shit is so much easier.

    there will always be trolls, always be haters, always be people who don't agree with you or don't like the same thing or think you're weird. to all those people, i give them the finger because who are they to judge you? how are they better than you? THE ANSWER IS - THEY ARE NOT.

    the only thing that matters is what YOU think and what YOU want and what YOU like. everything else is just noise. i always teach kayla: words are just words; they mean nothing and have no power over you *unless you give them power*. never ever give anyone power over you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and write about your fitness journey because the ahole bro in me loves reading that shit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
    EMBRACE YOUR WEIRD. Love it. I love it already. Happy birthday, sweet, beautiful friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this :) The older I get the more and more and I realize how I need to stop caring about what everyone else things and just focus on what I think. The fact that you have that figured out so early means you are smart, duh!

    And I am with Kathy, I would love to hear some fitness posts if you feel like sharing. I am trying so hard to be the healthiest me I can be. It is such a long journey! Happy Birthday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! Embrace every part of YOU, my friend. Ain't no point in trying to always please others because you know there will always be someone around with a negative thought or thing to say. Do you -- you are kind, beautiful & a total baller.

    AND Happy freakin' birthday, girl! It's going to be a great year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it, so true that it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks! I've wasted so much time myself on worrying about what others think and it's never gotten me anywhere good! Happy Birthday and hope this is your best year yet!

    ReplyDelete