Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Selective Amnesia


There's this really strange thing that happens in Winnipeg every year. I should expect it, but every November my mind is blown all the same. You see, we here in the wastelands of winter get a solid 5-6 months of snow. Every year. EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. 

Would one not assume that the residents of a city as cold and dark as Winterfell would be used to this by now? As I left my apartment this morning to go to work, I got stuck dead in traffic. For over an hour. Because it started to snow today. Apparently, all of Winnipeg has been gripped by selective amnesia. It's strange, every year, 80% of drivers forget what this cold, slippery, white snow is. It has literally been LESS than six months since we last had to drive in it, yet over a short period of time, everyone has forgotten how. 

DERPS EVERYWHERE. 

I will never understand. And now I'm cranky because I spent over an hour in traffic when my commute generally takes less than 20 minutes. Seriously, there is maybe a half inch of snow on the ground, get your ish together other drivers, we do this every year....

9 comments

  1. portland drivers do that with the first rain falls of winter too like we dont live in it 9 months out of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! This sounds like me in Cleveland. I swear every time it rains, snows or the sun is too bright, people drive like idiots. It's supposed to snow tomorrow here in Cleveland so I need to leave for work about an hour earlier so I can make it on time....shot me please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that happens here too. canadians forget they're in canada and upon the first snow fall, everyone forgets how to drive and turn into morons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pretty sure that is anywhere! Rain, snow, sun.....people just loose it!

    1/2 an inch of snow here will legit shut the city down for two days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. not ready for snow either and that's the reason why. drivers out there drive crazy during bad weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm dreading the first snowfall... even if there's no accumulation... b/c I know that people are going to drive like assholes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel you! We are supposed to get 5-8 inches (my personal prediction is 1) but everyone goes nutso LIKE DON'T YOU REMEMBER? I winterproofed the house last night as my throwing caution into the wind. Yay polar vortex!!

    popcornsami.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh. Same thing happens in the northeast. ALSO.. your town is called Winterfell? That is the most darling goddamn thing I've heard all day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am totally almost copying Brooke's comment when I say, Washington drivers do this when it starts raining. When it snows, oh man, you are better off walking than driving.

    ReplyDelete