Friday, October 10, 2014

Thanksgiving Traditions

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite family holidays. It involves lots of food, alcohol, football and noise. With so many people it's hard not to be loud. I love it.

Thanksgiving usually means men downstairs, women upstairs in the kitchen. Football or NASCAR is on the TV downstairs, and whatever Lifetime movie is airing that day on the TV upstairs. It's not that my family is sexist or anything, it's just how it goes. My aunts and cousins and I sit around drinking wine and gossiping and cooking. My uncles and all the other males, be it cousins or boyfriends or husbands hang out downstairs. I assume drinking beer and burping.

Sometimes before dinner we'd go feed the geese at a park. This year, we're going to a corn maze. I'm so excited since I never had the chance to hit the corn maze last year. And to be going with my family is better than anything. Yes, I'm that weirdo that would rather hang out with her family any day of the week. My cousins are some of my best friends!

I just hope that Jay can handle it. We're a little crude and inappropriate and did I mention loud? He seems like the type that will hold up well but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.


What are your traditions?




Making Melissa

5 comments

  1. That gif has me dying! Your Thanksgiving sounds like a blast. Going to the corn maze before would be a blast. I love my family and love hanging out with them too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I love the gif with Monica! With each holiday I run through my Friends DVDs and watch the holiday episodes. I love Friends probably a little too much. My family has always been spread out across the United States so our Thanksgivings have always been quiet, fairly uneventful affairs. I'm actually kind of jealous of your Thanksgivings! It sounds like a lot of fun to have so much family nearby. I'm working on making it that way for my kids! Since it isn't Thanksgiving in the US. I decided to blog about Halloween traditions I'm hoping to start with my family in the next few years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the title for the post and I was like, jumping the gun early there Melissa! Then I was like oh yeah, Canadian Thanksgiving! haha! Duh, Nadine! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always forget that Canadian Thanksgiving is in October! Yet our traditions are so similar. I'm so ready for our Thanksgiving, mainly because then it becomes socially acceptable to blast Christmas music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO great that Jay tagged along with the family, that makes my heart happy!

    ReplyDelete