Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Fave Fall Recipes

Day One of the October Blogging Challenge and it deals with one of my favorite things: FOOD. Oh god. So excited. 

Today I'm going to share a couple of my favorite fall comfort foods. Obviously Butternut Squash soup and a grilled cheese tops the list but I buy the soup so it doesn't count. Instead, I'm going to start off with a new addition to my cooking arsenal...



...Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin! 

This is my take on the recipe. I found the original on Pinterest and tweaked it to best suit my taste. 

1 whole spaghetti squash
1 lb ground chicken
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup shredded cheese ( I use tex mex)
1 tsp of garlic salt
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 cup sour cream (or plain greek yogurt)
1/2 sliced onion

I microwave my spaghetti squash but you can also bake it in the oven at 350 for 30 - 60 mins. It depends on the squash and how thick it is so I recommend checking it at the 30 minute mark. If your knife sinks in no problem then it's ready. 

For the microwave, I get a dish big enough to hold it and poke holes all over the squash. I then put it in the microwave for 12 minutes, check it, flip it if I need, and usually it's goo for another 5-10 minutes. Again, it's all dependent on the size of the squash!

While I'm doing that, I cook the ground chicken in a pan with the salt, pepper and garlic salt. I slice the mushrooms and the onion at the same time. 

Once the squash is ready, cut it in half, and take out the seeds. Then with a fork, scrape at the inside of the squash so it comes off stringy and "hashbrown" like. I put it into a bowl with the sour cream and mix it up. Then pour it into a casserole dish, top it with the veggies and chicken, put the shredded cheese on top and throw it in the over at 350 for 15 minutes. VOILA! You're done and you have one of the most delicious fall recipes ever. 

Another of my favorite comfort food recipes can be found here. It's my infamous chicken enchiladas! It's just chicken and enchilada sauce in the crockpot while you're at work. Then you come home, throw them on tortillas, roll em up, put some cheese on top and bake for 15 minutes at 350. Easy and delicious!



Making Melissa

10 comments

  1. that looks SO yum!! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that looks delicious!!! I have a love hate relationship with spaghetti squash but this looks like a fun new way to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good! Anything covered in cheese sign me up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE spaghetti squash and always looking for new recipes. This looks great, thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loooove spaghetti squash!!!! I cook mine in the microwave, too... who the fuck has time to wait for that damn thing to cook in the oven?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just thinking that tomorrow I'm going to post 10 fall favorite recipes. I think this makes the cut!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think food is on everyone's brain. I am writing a food post too!
    I want to love spaghetti squash, but I just don't. Ugh. Maybe I've cooked it wrong, but it just does not do it for me.

    ReplyDelete