Thursday, October 16, 2014

A Well Read Woman Is A Dangerous Creature

If you were to ask someone "Hey what does Melissa do in her spare time?" their first answer would probably be like "hang out with her hedgehog" or maybe "watch too much Netflix" but their second answer would definitely be "oh she reads a lot, she's kind of a nerd."

YES I AM. Huge nerd. And I read like it's going out of style. (But seriously don't go out of style because I needs you book worlds.)

That's why I wanted to dedicate today to some October book suggestions. If you want to see more of what I'm reading you can befriend me on Goodreads, but for now, here are my six suggestions!

Where'd You Go Bernadette


This was one that I picked up at the Target BOGO sale on books about a month ago. I had heard it was good and since I got it free I figured I'd give it a shot. Well, 1.5 days after buying it I had finished it and was raving about it to anyone who would listen. It's written a little differently, told through e-mails and memos and notes. I liked it. I liked it a lot. 


Gone Girl


I read this one last year when a friend of mine suggested it. Long before I knew I'd be watching Ben Affleck and his man parts on the silverscreen. I could not put this book down. I can't accurately describe my feelings while reading it without giving the plot away, but let's just say it was the first book that made me scream "WTF" out loud whilst reading. SUCH. GOOD. WRITING!


Mockingjay


I threw this in here since in less than a month I will be plopping my butt into a seat at the theatre and watching J-Law run around with a braid for another 2 hours. I read The Hunger Games series in my first year of University and fell in love. I plan on re-reading this so I'm all caught up before the movie comes out. 


Stephen King 
Cujo, Pet Sematary, The Shining, Salem's Lot


I could talk about Stephen King for days. I could dedicate an entire month to writing about him and how much his writing inspires me. His style of character development and the descriptive nature of his novels make you feel like you're the one in the story. The amount of chills this man sends down my spine is out of this world. He is 100% a master of his genre, and what better way to ring in Halloween than with some of his classics. 


Let The Right One In 


If you watched the movie with Chloe Grace Moretz, erase that from your mind before reading this. I mean don't get me wrong, I love her in almost everything she does, but the English version of this movie was pure garbage. If you're gonna watch one, watch the original Swedish with subtitles. OR you could just read the gd book since it's better than either movie. I have a thing for Swedish writers, as proven by my obsession with the Dragon Tattoo series. This book was phenomenal and set a super creepy atmosphere. It's vampires done right. None of that Twilight crap. 


Archie Sheridan/Gretchen Lowell Series


This is a new discovery of mine. I happened to pick up Kill You Twice for less than $5 at Chapters one day and was hooked. Of course I realized it was a series and proceeded to go buy every book. I've only read the last two so far, but I'm currently reading Heart Sick, the first one, and it's just as delightful. Chelsea Cain can get pretty graphic and I like. I like it a lot. I also didn't know when picking up the book that the series is set in Portland, Oregon. Shout out Brooke & Jessi for a crime thriller set in your hometown. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There you have it. My top six for the month of October. Have you read any of these books? What are you reading right now?

Making Melissa

9 comments

  1. Gone Girl and Where'd You go Bernadette are both on my to read list right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep seeing "Where'd You Go Bernadette", I think I'm going to have to add it to my list. I haven't found a book I love recently but always recommend to people "Still Life With June" because no one has ever heard of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always appreciate a good book suggestion! I've read some of these and some are on my list already. I just found out about a winter reading challenge and need to pick a few more books for it so I'm going to see if any of these fit the categories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read so little that I wouldn't even be able to review five books in a blog post - much less recommend any. 50 Shades was awful writing and doesn't count.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read the top two. I am currently reading Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. I am so close to the end and I can't wait to find out what happens. I read her last book too, The Husband's Secret. Read that in a day!
    Erika W.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been thinking about buying Where'd You Go Bernadette I just haven't quite yet..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa, now I have so much to read!

    I agree with your comments on Gone Girl & Mockingjay. I had no idea Let the Right One In was a book! I've only seen the Swedish subtitled movie version.

    All of the other books you mentioned are now on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Damn you, Melissa. I just looked up the Chelsea Cain books.. And now I freaking have HeartSick downloading onto my Nook as I type. Damnit.

    ReplyDelete