Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Being Alone Doesn't Mean I'm Lonely

Being alone doesn't mean I'm lonely. It doesn't mean that I spend every night crying into my glass of wine or carton of ice cream because I don't have love in my life. It doesn't mean that I hate Valentine's Day or chick flicks or songs about love. Because being alone doesn't mean I'm stuck in a dark abyss of unhappiness. 

Being alone doesn't mean that I don't know how to celebrate love. I'm genuinely, over-the-moon happy for the people in my life who are in love. I have parents who have been together for 35 years and are living proof that soul mates exist. I have friends who are the happiest I've ever seen them. No glamour, no glitz, just hard work, dedication and the compromise it takes to make it work. 

I can be happy for them because it means there's hope. Does it mean I'm actively seeking love because I want what they have? No it doesn't. Because I refuse to settle for anything. 

And I do have love in my life. I have friends who inspire me, who love me, who make me smile and who warm my heart. I have family who support me and shower me with unconditional love even when I don't deserve it. That's enough. It's almost more than enough. 

Being alone means I have time to love myself. It means that I can figure out what I truly need. It means I can work on myself so I can learn to love myself unconditionally no matter what I look like, how I feel, or what I think. 

So don't assume, when you see me on Valentine's Day, or any other day, that I'm a lonely, single girl. I'm not. I'm the happiest, luckiest, most hopeful single girl. When the day comes that the right person comes along, maybe I'll take a chance. But for now, I want to celebrate what I DO have. I'm not lonely. I'm just alone. And that's okay.

16 comments

  1. I absolutely just love you. And adore you. And don't know what I would do without you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FOR SURE. being alone is awesome. i had zero problems/troubles when i was single/on my own because i like doing what i want! even now, when i can be alone, i JUMP at the chance.

    kathy
    Vodka and Soda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Preach it girl! Being single isn't a bad thing. I read The Single Woman: Life, Love, and a Dash of Sass and loved it. She's saying just what you are. Even though it sounds like you're in a good place already I would still recommend the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great. I couldn't agree more Except I'm bitter because valentines day

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I was single for over two years before I met my boyfriend online, and people always asked me "so are you lonely?" or "when are you going to get a boyfriend?" Or they would just give me that "I feel sorry for you" look when everyone else had a partner but me. You have to be happy alone before you can be happy with someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely loved who I became when I was single post my divorce. I actually liked myself! Keep on loving you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. need to love yourself first before you can love anyone else :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Preach it girl! And enjoy the time you have with yourself now. You never know when you're going to end up having to share your life with someone and you may miss those single moments. For just a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have nothing to add except I admire you for writing this! SUCH a great post and I hope a girl who might not feel this way comes across this. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All my single ladies!!! :) I need to get on your level as I embark this world as a single confident woman.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just perfect :) absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy shit this is PERFECT. Thank you <3 I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. *slow clap* YES!
    I think that it's necessary to be comfortable with being alone before you can be comfortable in a relationship if/when that time comes. BRAVO to you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. ::high freaking five::
    dont think i could have said it any better myself! :)

    ReplyDelete