Monday, January 27, 2014

Weekend Update & Heather's Story

Happy Monday my pretty little birds!

I had quite the eventful weekend for once. Friday I finally got my Llewyn Davis on and went to the movie with my friend Caitlin. I haven't stopped listening to the soundtrack since. I loved this film and I wish it was nominated for Best Picture because wow. 

Saturday I got to see my baby Brookyln for the first time since her birthday in December. It was glorious. So of course my mom comes over because she likes to steal all Brooklyn's attention a.k.a. I'm pretty sure she's ready to be a grandma but NOT YET MOM. 





Later that day, Stacey and i got our Masterchefs on and made a delicious meal for when Ashley got off work because we're romantic like that. Of course we got absolutely white girl wasted off wine and premixed shots. Then I had to go to soccer. So we all pile into my friends van and the game was hilarious and I apologize to my whole team. Sorry guys I promise I'll stop drinking before games. They were totally cool with it though and we ended up going to the Tavern Pub for drinks and shut it down at 2:30 in the morning. Have I mentioned how much I adore my soccer team? Plus we have cute boys so there's that. 




Sunday I had the parents over for dinner and they were just so shocked that I could cook. Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. Really... means a lot. 

But do you know why this weekend was as great as it was? Because I was extremely humbled on Friday by something I read about. I got to enjoy my weekend because I'm healthy. I don't have to worry and I can do what I want, how I want and when I want. We aren't all that lucky. 

Have you heard Heather Von St. James' story? Heather found out she had mesothelioma, a rare form of cancer caused by asbestos, after giving birth to her first child eight years ago. She had a risky surgery to remove her lung and it has been eight years since that surgery. Her husband is one of the most supportive men I've ever encountered and we should all be so lucky to have someone like him in our lives. I can't imagine what this family went through.



Febraury 2nd is known as LungLeavin' Day and they want all of us to participate. LungLeavin' Day is the anniversary of her surgery and holds a special place for the family. Now, they want to share it with all of us. How do we get involved and learn more about this horrible disease? Check out their website to learn more and participate by sharing your fears.



My dear friend Fallon will be hosting a link-up on that day where we can all share our fears and learn that we are not alone. Our fears can be conquered if we stay strong and focused. I hold a special place in my heart for cancer survivors as my family has been deeply affected many more times than I wish to count. So please help a great cause and let's celebrate Heather's triumph!  



5 comments

  1. hahahah! what exactly is "white girl wasted"? although i kind of have an idea but would like to hear it from a white girl herself lol

    -kathy | Vodka and Soda

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Hey I love you. And your face. And your demon fears. And your hilarious dreams that you e-mail and tell me. And the fact that we're going to Disney World. And yeah. We rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh lord i would have paid money to watch you play drunk soccer

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is that sauce? I must know!

    Sorry to hear what Heather went through. It's wonderful that her husband is so supportive!

    ReplyDelete