Friday, January 17, 2014

Take It From Me...



We've all made mistakes. It's human nature to mess up. I never regret anything I do as long as I can learn a lesson from it. I also try and help prevent my mistakes from being repeated by other people. Because there have been some real doozies I tell ya. 

Take it from me when I say...

If you want to break up with someone, have the decency to do it when you know it's time. Instead of dragging it out for weeks and doing it on the night of your 20th birthday, completely intoxicated, in a parking lot, outside of a bar, in front of all your/his friends. For the second time. 

If you want to say sorry, don't wait forever to do it. Or else you might end up writing the most embarrassing letter of your life. While completely intoxicated. 

All inclusive resorts are not a free pass to get blackout drunk and pass out on a beach. With a guy you've known for 3 days. Whose real first name you don't even know (Hi Knox).

Don't go ham in Target when your credit card is already almost maxed out and you're only shopping to feel better about your life. You will end up with the fugliest home decor simply because "it was on sale".

When you're starting on a new soccer team, don't go to a dinner theatre before your first game, drink your weight in fruity drinks, and then throw up at half time. 

I'm starting to sense a trend here... Take it from me when I say learn to handle your alcohol better than I do. Let's change tactics here for a second. How about some serious life lessons I've learned. 

Take it from me when I say...

Not knowing what you want to do with the rest of your life is okay. Changing your major 3 times is also not the end of the world. In fact, I encourage you to chase multiple passions. 

People change their minds but that doesn't mean you're a bad person. Falling out of love is okay as long as you do it with kindness and grace. 

Don't be afraid to be alone. You want to try that new restaurant but no one to go with? GO. Movie in the theater you want to catch before the Oscars but no one else wants to? GO. Don't be afraid to be with yourself; especially in public. If you can't have fun with yourself how can you possibly expect anyone else to?

Practice saying no. I say yes too often and end up with more on my plate than I can handle. Saying no gives you the freedom to be picky about what you do with your time. It also leads to less stress overall. 

Get help if you need help. No one should judge you for taking care of yourself. 



That's all I have. I don't want to sound like a lush or get too preachy. These are all real lessons I've learned. I cannot wait to see what you all have to say!





6 comments

  1. Take it from me....you're the best. Thanks for partnering up with me :) loves you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes to all of these! especially about being alone and breaking up when the time is right.

    kathy
    Vodka and Soda

    ReplyDelete
  3. coolioest post! I've been dying to be alone in public yet I'm always nervous because i feel like only my dad goes to movies alone and i would like odd mer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doing things alone is a big one. I work with adults (everyone is at least 20 years old than me. Not to say I'm not an adult. You get it) and half of them can't go on lunch alone. Really? I enjoy going for lunch alone sometimes. It gives me peace of mind. I can't go to a movie alone simply because I'm a cheapass and I can't justify spending $13 watching a movie alone when I could just stream that shit and watch it for free. Uh, I mean, buy it on DVD *cough*

    ReplyDelete
  5. if i remember correctly you sent that said letter off?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do that shit at Target too. I haven't been in there since Black Friday just because I don't have the money. I miss it so bad though. And my pretty little red card just sits in my wallet and taunts me.

    I really like this. I'm probably going to link up tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete