Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Smilings My Favorite

One of the first things I notice about someone is their smile. There's just so much you can know about a person from it. Some have a shy smile, some have a big, aggressive, toothy smile. Others smirk and others have dimples. Everyone's smile is different but everyone's smile is beautiful. 

How would you feel if you couldn't smile? The fact is, every 3 minutes, a child is born with a cleft. Some of them won't survive past their first birthday and others might never get the care they need. That's where Operation Smile comes in. They offer free surgical care to these children through volunteers. 



My grandmother was born with a cleft lip and was self-conscious of it her whole life. No child should have to feel lesser. Every child deserves to smile. Operation Smile operates in 60 countries worldwide with trained, volunteer medical personnel. With generous support and dedicated volunteers they are able to not only fix smiles, but fix lives. 




Since 1982, Operation Smile — through the help of dedicated medical volunteers — has provided more than 3.5 million comprehensive patient evaluations and over 200,000 free surgeries for children and young adults born with facial deformities. You can learn more about who they are and what they do by visiting their website.

On top of all this, Campus Book Rentals has partnered with Operation Smile to donate a portion of their proceeds to this charity. This means that college students can save on textbooks and help a child in need. Does it get any better than that?



RentBack is a new initiative that allows students to rent the textbooks they own to other students. Uhm what? That's awesome because it makes you 2 to 4 times more money compared to what you'd make through other buyback options like selling them back to your bookstore. I wish I knew about this when I was still a student because I would have used this on the reg. 

Want to learn a little more about the Rent Back program? Here's a little video that explains it:



If you're a college/university student I highly recommend you look into renting your textbooks. I can't tell you how much money I wasted on buying mine. I still have a whole shelf covered in books I'll never be able to sell and will never read again. Plus, if i'd had the opportunity, I would have jumped at the chance of supporting such a great cause. 

Next time you smile, just remember how lucky you are.  


 photo signature_zps08dec786.png




**This is a sponsored post but all opinions are my own. Operation Smile is a charity I support wholeheartedly which is why I agreed to this!

2 comments

  1. What an awesome thing they're doing! And you're awesome for writing about it.
    But you're always awesome, so yeah. Loves you.

    › xo fal • falfindshappiness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great! Such an awesome organization that is doing great things!

    ReplyDelete