Wednesday, December 4, 2013

How I Knew I'd Become An Adult

It creeps up on you. Slowly but surely, until one day, you wake up from your post-college haze, and BOOM. It hits you. You're an adult. 

It's different for everyone. The moment of realization can be something insignificant or something huge. There were a few things for me that tipped me off that I'd exited adolescence and become an adult. It was scary. Adult. ADULT. *shudders*

Anyway, this is when I knew: 

+ When I swore in front of my parents and it wasn't a big deal 


+ When I complained about "youths" in a non-ironic way 
+ I used the term "back in my day" to an 8 year old and they were actually shocked at what things were like back then (What's a tape? Cassette? What? Are you making this up?) 
+ When I heard N*Sync on an oldies station 


+ When I realized the best part of my weekend was when I found out Netflix was streaming my favorite show and I chose to stay home instead of going to party
+ My Netflix addiction in general 
+ When I started caring more about food than what people think


+ When my friends started to get married (guys you can stop any time now)
+ I saw the kids I used to baby sit the other day and they aren't babies any more. They're full grown teenagers #what
+When my friends started popping out children

Preach.
+ When I had to start paying bills. Rent sucks guys. 
+ When I realized that Jurassic Park came out TWENTY YEARS ago. Twenty. 2-0. Wtf.
+ When I realized I forgot how to interact socially


+ I was eating mini-marshmallows out of a bag and was told that was inappropriate for an adult
+ When getting out of bed became a daily struggle because of back pain 

So yeah, apparently I'm an adult. And it sucks. I hate it. I want to be irresponsible and carefree and not broke. And not have to work every day for the rest of my life


TIME WILL TELL MONICA. TIME. WILL. TELL.


When did you realize you were an adult?

 photo signature_zps08dec786.png

13 comments

  1. haha this is great and totally true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean I choose netflix over socializing anyday. Thats why I became a blogger ;) No real life interaction that involves me getting out of bed....! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This past summer I took my nanny kids to the library to pick out some DVDs. Well, I showed them the Mary-Kate & Ashley video tapes & they were so confused by them! I was trying to explain the concept of a VCR and they said they'd never heard of it. Talk about making me feel old!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahah this is an awesome post!!! Loved everything and agreed with it all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my best friends kid turned into a teenager, is this possible!?!
    When I didn't spend the holidays with my family because of work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. whoever told you eating mini-marshmallows out of a bag was inappropriate for an adult is an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The day I had to explain who The Spice Girls are was the day I realized I was old. And also when my first campers graduated from high school, I sobbed into a bag of mini-marshmellows over that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i just need you to know - I am currently laughing so hard i'm about to pee my pants.
    YES.
    TEN TIMES YES. to all of these. I remember the first time a curse word left my mouth when I was an "adult" I did the sneaky eye look around to see if I was going to get popped and wouldn't you know - no one lifted a finger! ;)

    I also did a HUGE SQUEEL fest when I heard nsync on the radio a few months ago - then they phrased it with "oldies" and I found myself wanting to punch the dang radio hahaha.

    these are spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still can't get myself to swear in front of my family members haha! But I relate to a lot of other ones on your list. Sometimes I read Buzzfeed and they post articles like "How you know you were born in the 90s" or things like "What your kids won't even know about." It's scary! haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is JUST what I needed during finals week! Aha

    ReplyDelete
  11. all true. just wait till you get to my age! <-- another sign that i am an adult - when you say this to younger people. WTF

    -kathy
    Vodka and Soda

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this list!! I've been guilty of so many of these. Does that make me really old? It also makes me sad that you heard N'Sync on an oldies channel.

    ReplyDelete