Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013: A Year for Change


New Year's Eve. You sneaky sob. There's no way we are about to launch ourselves into 2014 already. Yet, it feels as though January was 10 years ago. It's absolutely insane how much life has changed for me in a mere 12 months. Cuh-razy. In one year I've gone from high-strung business student to a laid-back slave to my 9-5. Jokes. I'm not an actual slave to my job since I love it. But working Monday-Friday is a huge difference from working two part time jobs and going to school. I miss being able to go for breakfast at 10 am on a Tuesday. But I don't miss working weekends. I'm going way off topic here. Woof. (Buzz, your girlfriend).

The point of today's post is to reflect on the past year month by month. I'm totally stealing this from Rachel and then Erin beat me to it yesterday but whatever. It's cool. I'M NOT BITTER. (I'm not, she's my fave). So let's take a journey together through 2013 shall we?

I kicked off the year in 80s style. New Year's Eve last year was kind of a perfect night surrounded by friends. And obvs with my bestie, Andrea. 

this is what we call white girl wasted

Everything else about January was not perfect. MIMC was a huge fat joke because we sucked. But that's alright because we had a good time and met some great people and got to stay at a Fancy Hotel for free. Oh, MIMC stands for Manitoba International Marketing Competition. I was so not kidding when I said I was a high-strung business student. I haven't really talked about it here but I was balls deep into my faculty. I loved business school. I did everything I could to be involved and was a big try-hard. God this has nothing to do with January. MOVING ON. 

I went to Cuba with my (now ex) boyfriend and his family. It was actually one of the best trips ever. I fell in love with Cuba all over again (I'd been in 2009) and I would go back in a heartbeat. Seriously, how beautiful was my view?


Here's a few more Cuba pictures because I miss the ocean. 

I just want to be in the ocean again :(

K but can it get any more perfect? LOOK HOW WHITE THE SAND IS!

I quit The Children's Place after two years there. I just had enough of retail and since I was graduating in a month saw no need for a second job anymore. I really did like working there. Perhaps it was the poeple more than folding clothes and dealing with crazy parents but I really did learn a lot from working retail. I learned I will never do it again. 

I spent my 23rd birthday writing a paper that I wasn't particularly proud of but I was really passionate about the topic. City Branding: A Winnipeg Case Study. I may or may not work on it from time to time. Because it needs more work. But I hope to one day actually present my findings since it relates to my job as well. God I miss being a student. April marked my last month in my undergrad and Jesus I never thought I'd miss school so much. 

April also marked my first ever Jets game! (GO JETS GO!) I ended up going to two games in one week and GOD I LOVE HOCKEY. 


Finally, April was the month that I planned the BASA Gala at the Radisson and it was the last thing I ever did as the Executive Officer of Events and it was kind of a sad moment. That's when I realized I was truly, really, completely, done with my undergrad. 


May I started working full time. I was already working part time in my current position but May 1st marked my transition to a real adult. On salary, with benefits and vacation time and responsibility. The only thing I really have to report from May was my first real encounter with Dylan and what basically solidified my love for working with him. 

he defaced Justin and led me to believe it was someone else ALL DAY


June was a great month. June was when this little blog was born. My first posts were not my favorite but I have grown so much from then. June was also the month I received my degree and bought my first car. June was also the month where I traveled 8 hours in my new car, with two of my favorite people, to see my favorite band of all time - Fall Out Boy.

ps Sam if you read this I MISS YOU LET'S HANG OUT

 I also miss Arin. Only girl I could ever depend on in group projects.

 HEY LOOK IT'S SO PRETTY. Everyone, meet Molly, the love of my life. 

we were SO excited to see Patrick Stump. 

July just all around sucked. I'm not even going to sugar coat it and pretend like it didn't. My boyfriend and I fought a lot. Because I loved him and he didn't love me. Pretty plain and simple. The last week of July he dumped my azz and six months later, here I am, actually glad that it happened. We were so wrong for each other. We worked for awhile and I thought "yep, this is it". But then things changed, we changed, and guess what? That's okay. Really. It is. 

You know what else July taught me? I have the best dang people in my life. Mega big shout out to Lynn for that night. To all my friends. To my family (cousins), particularly Jamie. God, I just love you all. I really do. I am so so sorry for taking you all for granted sometimes because you're all my rocks and I don't know what I would do without you. Not just for getting me through heartbreak but for everything else. For the great times we have doing absolutely nothing, for growing up along with me, for teaching me and dealing with my weirdness. GOD I LOVE YOU GUYS!  Ovaries before brovaries, Uteruses before duderuses, chicks before.. well you know. 

me & Jamie 

August was about getting back to me. Ending a relationship is always about that, getting back to who you are. And enjoying being with yourself and doing everything you love. I got fun again. I started to go out with my friends again. And enjoy myself. I didn't realize how much fun I wasn't for so long. August was most definitely full of reconnecting. Folklorama, Selena Gomez concert, Goldeyes games, girls nights with lots of wine. And of course, my first foray into online dating (and just dating in general after 2 or so years).

I also threw myself into work. And I ended up working on my first set of TV Commercials heyyyyy. 

Say hi to mama and papa suggs in their tv debut


September was fun because of our soccer wind-up, my friend's show and all the time I spent with Brooklyn. I mean my friends. (No mostly Brooklyn). You see, a majority of my friends went back to school in September and since I was done I had a lot of free time and they did not (not pointing any fingers.. Andrea and Kristen). So I was lucky for the few friends I have that don't go to school. And for Courtney being on Mat Leave. 

"auntie let me go ya freak"


Being my favorite month, it's natural that my favorite things happened. I went to Fargo with my cousins and aunt and sister. We actually had the best time ever and I think it should be a yearly tradition. 


October was also when Anna and I decided to move in together this coming spring. It was the month that she graduated from University with her BSW as well so everyone say congrats! It is also Halloween which is my favorite holiday and I celebrated all month. SO yeah. BEST MONTH EVER.

I was in my very first parade so that was pretty sweet. I had also been a Brownie leader for a solid month at this point and I feel like I've finally gotten a handle on shaping the young minds of our future. JK but at least we know how to look like we know what we`re doing. We took them to The Humane Society and it was a success so that`s what I`m basing this all on. 

It was also the month that my friends threw a funeral for my lady parts which is pretty hilarious. Which in turn led me to remember I have standards and not to fall victim to loneliness. Live and learn people. November was also the kick off to Take Me To The Pilot`s Western Canadian tour and it was a pretty great night. 

my phone died before TMTTP came on so here's Halfway to Hollywood instead. whoops. 





Here we sit on the last day of December. Yes it was Christmas but you'll have to wait for my holiday recap post to see any of that. The first part of December was great. For the first time in 6 years I found myself single at the most romantic time of year and I learned that it's THE BEST. I didn't have to compromise on which Christmas movies to watch. I didn't have to split time between any family events. I got to revel in the lights and the snow and not have to drag a boy along with me against his will. Christmas shopping was cheaper. THE. BEST. I watched Love, Actually 3 times and Home Alone 2 a whopping 5 times. Who cares. No boyfriend no problem. 

poor Fallon gets snaps like this way too often


But most exciting of all? Brooklyn turned 1. ONE WHOLE YEAR OLD!! I can't believe it. She's growing up so fast :(.






So basically this year was one for change. My entire life shifted in a matter of months and I'm still learning how to live it and where to go from here. I wouldn't have it any other way. I had a moment at Kristen's Annual Friends Christmas Dinner where I was sitting among all these super cool people and I couldn't help but think I wouldn't be there if things hadn't changed. Everything happens for a reason. That's what I can take from this year. That and surround yourself with good people




HAPPY NEW YEAR AND CHEERS TO 2014


 photo signature_zps08dec786.png

5 comments

  1. what a great recap! here's to 2014 being even more awesome :)

    -kathy
    Vodka and Soda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an awesome year and Cuba looks uh-mazing I now know where I need to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cuba what lets go it does look perf. Also totally didn't realize all this about ex bofo (#LAME) but its supa good to see you are happier without him! ;) Ya got us crazies all over the world to make up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad I found your blog this year and can't wait to read about even more of your adventures in 2014! Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This year is going to be amazing for both of us! You've grown so strong this year and I'm proud to call you my friend. love you!

    ReplyDelete