Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Brownies & The Winnipeg Humane Society

I don't know if I've ever mentioned this before but I lead a Brownies group here in Winnipeg. I was never a Girl Guide myself, but when a friend of mine approached me and asked if I'd be willing to do it with her once a week, I couldn't say no.

I love kids. Anything from babies like my Brooklyn to 10 year-olds who love crafting and giving me sass. I just love them. I used to work in retail at a children's clothing store and I think I spent more time playing on the floor with them than selling stuff to their parents.

Having a bad day? Hang out with a kid who thinks you're all that and a bag of chips. Guaranteed your mood will brighten substantially. My cousin used to nanny, and a few years back I was going through a particularly painful breakup, so I would spend almost every day with them that summer. Never gotten over a breakup faster.

Summer 2011

Back to Brownies. The girls are 7 & 8 and some of the cutest little munchkins I've ever had the pleasure of spending time with. Every Tuesday after work, I spend an hour and a half with them; teaching them, learning with them, crafting with them and, of course, being adored by them (which is the best part). It's 100% volunteering, no compensation, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Tonight, we have our first field trip. We are taking the girls to the Winnipeg Humane Society. It's an opportunity for the girls to learn about their community and what they can do to help. Sadly, many animals this Christmas will go without homes. If I could, I would bring home 8 dogs. But I can't. Tonight we will get to interact with and play with all sorts of cute, furry, little creatures. It might actually break my heart to walk out of there without one cuddled up in my arms. Every animal deserves a forever home.



I haven't ever asked for anything from my readers. But today, if you are from Winnipeg, please at least go to the website and check it out. If you can, please donate. It's unbelievable what it costs to keep the place running and without them, these poor animals would be on the street, suffering, or dead.

If you're not from Winnipeg, check out your local pet shelters and see what you can do to help. Sometimes going in once a week to groom or walk a pet is all they need.

At least think about it.



 photo signature_zps08dec786.png

4 comments

  1. obviously Brooklyn and I should be besties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I donate to the Ontario SPCA once a year. Animals are as sweet and innocent as children!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss my little Brownies so much! My local shelter is always very grateful to get donations of old blankets to make the cages a little cozier, dog & cats toys and food. Last year there was a special Crest activity for Guides NS in partnership with SPCA and it was great! You might want to check to see if there's a similar crest for your area!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first thought when I saw brownie's was ... did this bitch just whip up some delightful brownies!? No, no she did not.
    But yeah, kids are cute. For now. I just like to give them back where they came from.

    › xo fal • falfindshappiness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete