Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Guest Post - Running With My Tiara On

Good morning my lovelies!

Today I am so pleased to announce that my dear blog friend Kelsey will be guest posting from Germany! She's pretty great so I hope you all enjoy :)




Hi there, Making Melissa readers! I'm Kelsey and I blog over at Running With My Tiara On and I am also Melissa's blogging big sister (which is awesome!) I am from America but I have been living in Germany with my husband, who is stationed here with the military, for almost one year. Being here is such an amazing opportunity but I thought I would share some of the reasons I miss home :)

Family
I am so super close to my family. Before we moved here I had never gone more than a month without seeing my mom and now I am at eleven months without seeing her! I miss watching my sister in law grow up. She had just turned two when we left and now she is three and has changed so much. Missing out on all the family gatherings in just so hard.

My sister in law on her second halloween, just over one year old. This was two years ago 

Food
Don't get me wrong, there is definitely some good food here but I miss so many of my favorite restaurants back home. And we have so few fast food places that I am actually looking forward to having a lot of them again soon. The hubs and I joke that we are going to gain fifty pounds our first month back!

Language
I never realized it was possible that take your native language for granted but it is. I miss being about to understand signs and not have to worry about if that sign says no parking or no entering because I don't understand the language. And trying to communicate when I am speaking to someone who speaks so little English is so intimidating!
Receipt from the first German McDonalds we went to on our first day here
Weather
I know this mostly has to do with being further north than where I lived back home but I am tired of having cold rainy/ snowy weather 8 months of the year, I am so ready to go back to 8 months of flip flops and everyone actually being excited about snow instead of dreading it.

Shopping
Of course we have places to shop but German fashion and home decor is so different from what we like that its really hard to find stuff. We end up doing the majority of our shopping online because of that. We also really miss malls. I don't know what it is about a mall that just makes it so great but we really do miss them.

I miss mall shopping!
Church
This one is really hard for me. I have found a great weekly women's bible study that I absolutely love but we haven't found a church we love because there are only two English speaking options around here. We usually end up watching sermons from our stateside church but I miss connecting with others in the church environment.

I really do feel blessed to be here and in so many ways I love it but it's impossible not to miss home :)
Image Map

No comments

Post a Comment