Friday, September 20, 2013

Guest Post - My Sista From Anotha Mista


What am I passionate about?

Well before I get to that, here's a bit of back story. Melissa asked me to guest write for her blog, and as Melissa's lifelong neighbor and a lover of reading and writing, it was an exciting opportunity for me to put a bit of myself out into the blogosphere/interweb/innertubes/whatever.

 we're basically family, yo. 

So what did I really want to share? Most people would think that, as a music student (specifically a flute player), I'd have to talk about my deep love of the instrument, how music is the only thing that makes sense to me, etc, but that's not really true. What is true is that I'm a person with quite a few interests: cooking, human rights, hockey, politics, film, etc. I believe that most people have a similar number of things that affect their lives in important ways.

The really surprising part of all of this is that people get put into these tiny, little, narrow-minded boxes all of the time, where, because I'm a "musician", I'm automatically some snob that's going to bore you to death about classical music (which I do actually love... Although it's not the only kind of music that I listen to). Most of the classical musicians that I know are interesting people that attend raves, rock concerts, jazz nights, and Folk Fest, amongst other events that are non-musical in nature.

The thing is, everyone loves music. I think I can say that, of all of the people I've met, only one person ever expressed indifference to music. ONE PERSON. And he was very passionate about electronics and building robotic, gadgety stuff. 

To me, this just shows that it's not what we're passionate about that matters: at the end of the day, we all love different things, but that shouldn't be what keeps us from understanding each other. The next time you meet a musician, don't ask them who their favorite band is, or what kind of job they expect to get, anyway- I promise they'll thank you. Instead, talk a little bit about your own interests, and see how much you have in common. Remember: musicians are people too!  

That's all for now, 

LYNN




P.S. I chose this week's Back That Azz Up tune so enjoy. I know it's not exactly twerk it material but I just love this song.





No comments

Post a Comment