Thursday, September 26, 2013

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Day 4: Breakup Stories!

You didn't think I'd go through this whole week and not talk about how awful, uncomfortable and just plain awkward breakups can be, did you? 

Today I'm going to share some stories. About my breakups. Because I've never had a good one. Ever. They've all been super awkward or just downright terrible. I've been both the dumper and the dumpee and I honestly don't know which is worse. It just sucks. Breaking up SUCKS. 

By now, you're all pretty aware of just how awkward of a human being I am. So imagine me being thrust into one of the worst situations you can possibly experience. My first breakup was with my High School boyfriend. He should have seen it coming, I mean avoiding him like the plague for 3 weeks can't be a good sign...

Anyway, I used to work at Subway, so one day I called him and asked if I could come over and talk to him after and I guess he panicked. Because he showed up at Subway. So I had to do it there, because his mom had driven him and she was waiting in the parking lot. So I did it in the storage room. WTF. Just so awkward. But it was my 18th birthday the next night so I forgot all about it pretty fast. 



Next came my wild years. Like party hard, livin' the club lyfeeee (I'm such a white girl). So naturally, my next boyfriend and I met at a bar. And subsequently broke up at one as well. Not so much break up as me running away from him on my 20th birthday and then yelling at him in the parking lot, hammered out of my face that we were over (I knew I wanted to break up with him but I was so nervous I got mega blasted of course). Next thing I know the guy is taking off down a back lane. Literally running at top speed down a back lane behind the club and my friend had to go after him so he wouldn't pass out or get hit by a car or something. I'm seriously the worst human being alive. Then, instead of having an actual conversation with him the next day, I book it out of the city to a cabin with no cellphone reception to avoid him altogether. For two days. 

So yeah I'm really sorry about that.



The worst breakup I experienced came next. Melissa got dumped good. This one is particularly painful to relive because I went bat crap crazy. But to be fair, the dude broke up with me at 2 a.m. on a Saturday night while he was wasted and I was laying in his bed trying to sleep. And he didn't even turn the light on to look me in the face. And it was because he wanted to slut it up all summer. So yeah, I went a little nuts. I was basically a hysterical mess. NOT PRETTY. Plus we were supposed to go to his mom's the next day for a family BBQ and I had already made taco dip (guess who ate that whole bowl while self-pitying...). And the cherry on top of that one was that my entire effing family left that night to go to San Francisco for 10 days and my best friend had to fly off to Australia 3 days later. Like nice timing. I still wish I'd handled that one better. You know more Lauren Conrad cry than Kim Kardashian cry.




So I apologize for being a raving lunatic. And I'm sorry for what I may have done to your toothbrush while I was angrily packing my shiz.

Now it's your turn. PLEASE share your crazy/awkward/horrible/uncomfortable break up stories with me :) I want to hear them. AND GO!




6 comments

  1. Good read. Sorry to hear you had such duds in the break up category.. though i agree, not sure there can be a good break up!
    -K

    ReplyDelete
  2. My worst break up came from a guy i dated when i was 17. We worked together and were dating 3 months (the whole i love you bit, etc) and i came to work one day to find a note in my locker basically breaking up with me!

    All break ups suck, but something about getting a note/text/etc aka not face to face makes it so much worse!

    -K

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's only natural that both of us are horrible at dating. I plan on making a response post to this.. To many stories for one comment.

    Ps. I'm über stoked that we are FB friends.

    XO Fal

    ReplyDelete
  4. I said I wanted a break where in reality, I wanted another guy but was too scared to say it. Poor guy, he thought he was getting me back! I don't think I truly ever clarified that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My worst break up was with the guy I was with junior year of high school through most of my freshman year of college. I was literally 15 seconds from leaving my dorm room to go home on spring break a day early to surprise him and then I got a text message telling me he wanted to break up and then a second one saying he did it over text because he didn't want to deal with my drama. Yeah he was a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Breaking up might be hard to do, but sometimes it’s also the right thing to do.

    Here are 10 excellent reasons to break up:

    1. You know the relationship has no long-term potential. After dating for a while, if you realize that the relationship will eventually run its course, ending it is likely the best thing for both of you. You want to find someone who will be in it for the long haul.

    2. The relationship has run its course. Maybe you didn’t get out early enough. Get out now. When the relationship feels over, let it be over. Don’t cling to it just because you’ve wasted so much time on it already.

    3. You’ve been hurt physically or emotionally. Some damage can’t be undone. Staying in an abusive relationship will only deepen those wounds with time, it won’t heal them. Seek professional help if you’re not sure how to leave.

    4. You’ve been cheated on, or you’ve cheated. Rarely can dating relationships rebound from infidelity. Let him/her go.

    5. Someone else is on your mind. Do. Not. Cheat. If you’re constantly wishing your significant other was someone else — or that you could date other people — take the high road and end the relationship before things get messy.

    6. Everyone else is rallying against the relationship. If your friends and family — people who are generally trustworthy and supportive — hate your relationship, listen to them. Sometimes outsiders have better perspectives of an unhealthy relationship than those in it.

    7. Your values don’t align. Sure, you both like Thai food, reggae and Christopher Nolan films. But if all you have in common is the little stuff, the relationship is going to be stunted. If you know that you don’t agree on things like family, faith and finances, it’s okay to end things amicably so that you can both find people who have similar priorities.

    8. You’re not happy — and haven’t been for a very long time. Every relationship has its ups and downs. But if you can’t remember the last time either of you laughed or had a great time together, assess the health of your relationship. Are you staying because you want to? Or just because you’re stubborn?

    9. You feel uneasy about the relationship. If you’re constantly trying to convince yourself to stay, maybe you shouldn’t. Trust your intuition.

    10. You’re not growing together. Neither of you are at your best when you’re together. There’s no personal growth, you don’t feel good about yourself when you’re with your significant other and you’re no longer thriving. A healthy relationship brings out the best in both partners.

    Tips on how to capture a man's heart and make him love you forever?
    Visit: Capturehisheartreviews.org

    ReplyDelete