Monday, August 26, 2013

Same Love



As a Canadian, I'm pretty proud of our stance on equality.

Watching the VMA's last night, hearing Macklemore say "Gay rights are human rights, there is no separation" actually brought a tear to my eye. With everything that's going on in our world, from Russia to South America to the United States, it's amazing to hear someone stand up and be vocal. That's why I strongly believe that we need people like Macklemore in pop culture. 

Personally, I'm straight, but I have so many friends who are not. I can't even imagine what it must be like for them. And in Winnipeg we're so open to people's sexuality. It is the warmest feeling to look around and see how accepting and understanding this city is of the LGBT community. Yet even with such an open-minded community, they still struggle. Some of them feared what would happen if they came out. I can't imagine that pain. To those friends of mine who are out and open and embracing it, I seriously admire you. I don't see them as any different from myself because they are not. Everyone deserves to love and be loved by whomever they choose.







No comments

Post a Comment