Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Weekend in Review: Canada Day

What a weekend! It was busy from Friday right up until last night. I was so grateful to have a chance to catch up with Katherine on Saturday since she lives so darn far up north now...

I also finally had the chance to sit down and watch Cloud Atlas with Chris which he has been bugging me to watch forever. Turns out it was actually really good. Point Chris. Then, we decided last minute to go see This is The End and it was absolutely hilarious. James Franco, Craig Robinson, Jay Baruchel, Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill...they killed it!

And what is the July long weekend without a little barbecuing? Instead of celebrating Canada Day on Monday, we decided to throw a BBQ Sunday so no one had to worry about getting up for work the next morning. Beer, burgers and bonding. 

Pre-burger snacks... mmmmm taco dip!


My infamous Taco dip was once again a huge hit. It is the easiest to make and everyone devours it. The recipe has been in my family for as long as I remember and both my mom's sisters and her used to make it for family parties. Eventually they stopped making it and my cousins and myself picked up the tradition. 

For anyone interested in trying it out...

You'll need:
  • 1 8-oz package of Cream Cheese
  • 1 500ml container of Sour Cream 
  • 1 package of Taco seasoning mix
  • 1 Tomato
  • 1 cup of Lettuce
  • 2 cups of grated Cheese
My personal preference is Philadelphia cream cheese and Lucerne sour cream but any brand should work just fine. I also find that the Old El Paso Taco Mix tastes the best (I've tried various no name and other brands and haven't found a decent alternative). 

I usually let the cream cheese sit on a plate in the kitchen for a good 4-6 hours prior to making the dip so it's soft and easy to mix. I dump the container of sour cream and the cream cheese into a metal bowl along with the taco mix and use a hand blender to get the right consistency. I find that using a mixer leaves it chunky and doesn't break the cream cheese down enough. Once it's all mixed to a smooth consistency, I pour it into a shallow (preferably but not always) 9x9 glass pan. Let it chill for at least an hour. Right before serving, I layer the grated cheese, then the lettuce and then the tomatoes evenly on top. And voilĂ !

(Lately I've been making it with 5% sour cream and light cream cheese. I feel slightly less guilty about scarfing it all down.) 


If you have any favorite recipes for a summer BBQ let me know and I will try them out!



No comments

Post a Comment