Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Tuesday Tip: First Time Car Buyers



As a woman, cars terrify me. Scratch that. As a completely CLUELESS woman when it comes to cars, they terrify me. This is why buying a new one was one of the most nerve-wracking experiences of my life. Fortunately, I had my dad looking out for me. For those who have to go it alone, here are a few tips I picked up along the way that should make the task a little easier.

Know what you want before walking into the dealership: Do your research! Go online and get a feel for the brand and model that you want and any features that are absolutely necessary for you. At the very least pick the style (car, truck, SUV, go-kart, magic carpet).

If you are female, DO NOT go alone: “But we've come so far; men respect us in our society”. True, but they will still take advantage of the fact that you’re a woman. Like wolves, they will descend on you as a predator and try and sell you things you don’t need. I brought my dad and my boyfriend. No games were played.

Be comfortable saying no: They will try and sell you everything. Rust protector (which I learned is not needed), life insurance, and their left leg. It’s okay to say no. Repeat. NO. See wasn't that easy?

Take the warranty: “But my dad’s cousin’s brother-in-laws nephew is a mechanic!” Just buy the extended warranty if it’s a good deal. Mine was bumper to bumper for 5 years with full roadside assistance. As I already stated, I’m clueless at cars, so changing my own flat tire would be my death.

Color matters: Okay, this may be the extreme girly-girl in me, but that was highest on my list, “Is it pretty?” (It was).

Specs: Learn what that means. And then learn what they are. Fuel economy, engine type, transmission, etc. (I honestly didn't know ANY of this until I had to actually talk about them. I think I lived under a rock).

In the end, just remember that you’re never going to forget your first car. EVER. So make it memorable and make sure you love it! 

This is my baby. I love her. A lot. 


No comments

Post a Comment