Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Office Life: Being The Boss

I've learned a few things over the last few months about being a boss. (I know, who decided I was responsible enough to be in charge of someone?) The one big takeaway from the experience is toeing the line between being friendly and being friends. I have an inherent need for people to like me. It's one of my biggest flaws, because even if I think you're equal to Amanda Bynes on the social scale, I will still need you to like me. Who knows why that is? I certainly don't. But back on topic... this flaw can lead to me trying to be too friendly sometimes with my employee. 


At the end of the day, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having your staff like you, but there is something wrong with them not respecting you. I'm not saying I've ever been disrespected, but there is still a need for them to know who is in charge. Me. In case you forgot. 

Since it's a small office and our summer staff doesn't quite fit into it, we all eat lunch in the backroom. Cue the one thing that I've learned is make or break for being friendly or acting like their friend. That one thing is how much you discuss your personal, outside the office life. 

Tips for proper lunch time talk:
That time you got drunk and projectiled all over the bar? Not okay. 
Discussing favorite movies and pop culture topics? Okay.
That time when you were 19 and you and your friends danced on a bar and were sprayed down with club soda? NOT OKAY. 
The lovely time you had at the lake over the weekend? Okay.

So remember, it's okay to be friendly and be approachable but it's another thing all together to lose sight of Who's The Boss.
See what I did there?



No comments

Post a Comment